Hair Growth with the Proper Diagnoses*
Get In Touch
This lovely patient struggled with many years of hair loss, severe whole-body atopic dermatitis (eczema) and relatively thin hair, worsened by stress, dandruff.
Because the patient lived far away, she had initially sought treatment from her local dermatologists, who simply recommended PRP and steroid injections, in addition to high-dose oral steroids, which:
1) Didn't work
2) Caused whitening of the skin and skin atrophy (an adverse reaction from steroid over-injection)
3) Triggered severe whole-body side effects from oral steroids
Good to be aware of: Long-term oral steroids can cause hair loss. Clumps of her hair were falling out by the time she visited Dr. Austin.
First, Dr. Austin gently tapered off the oral steroids and started the patient on an anti-yeast shampoo (BACD Seborrheic Dermatitis Shampoo). Next, the correct medications and supplements were recommended:
1) Dupixent, an injectable biologic to control the inflammatory mediators causing both her eczema and likely alopecia
2) Nutrafol, to provide nutrients + reduce inflammation
3) Oral minoxidil to improve blood flow to the roots.
The proper diagnoses and treatments create a healthy scalp so PRP has the best impact. Within 4 months, the patient was no longer suffering from eczema. AND, her hair is growing in thicker and more beautiful than ever.