WHY CHOOSE US?
Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Kathleen Welsh introduced the CoolSculpting procedure into her San Francisco practice - Bay Area Cosmetic Dermatology - in December of 2009, becoming the first doctor in Northern California to offer this non-invasive solution for fat reduction. Due to the overwhelming popularity and consistently impressive results, Dr. Welsh added a second CoolSculpting machine in May of 2012, allowing our patients to have two areas treated simultaneously. Fast forward to today - we now have five CoolSculpting machines, a dedicated body sculpting clinic and are the #1 CoolSculpting provider in San Francisco!
The Body Clinic at Bay Area Cosmetic Dermatology is conveniently located on the same floor as Bay Area Cosmetic Dermatology. Dr. Welsh and her staff at The Body Clinic are leaders in the CoolSculpting industry, having performed over 14,000 treatments. The Body Clinic practice manager, Roxanne Krempa, has over 8 years of experience designing custom treatment plans to maximize patient results.
We know you have many options when it comes to CoolSculpting providers, but you will not find any provider with more experience than our team.
Our Body Sculpting Specialists provide complimentary consultations and tailor your treatment plan to address your needs with the fewest number of treatments and most aesthetically pleasing result. When it comes to your body, experience and expertise matter.
WHAT IS CoolSculpting?
CoolSculpting is a non-invasive procedure that freezes stubborn fat that has previously not responded to diet and exercise. CoolSculpting technology utilizes cryolipolysis, a non-invasive cooling of adipose tissue to induce lipolysis – the breaking down of fat cells – effectively reducing body fat without damaging other tissues.
This is accomplished by:
- Exposing the treatment area to cooling via energy extraction causes fat cell apoptosis – a natural, controlled cell death, which leads to the release of cytokines and other inflammatory mediators that gradually eliminate the affected cells.
- Inflammatory cells gradually digest the affected fat cells in the months after the procedure, reducing the thickness of the fat layer.Lipids from the fat cells are slowly released and transported by the lymphatic system to be processed and eliminated, much like that of fat from food.
CoolSculpting is FDA-cleared to eliminate stubborn fat in nine treatment areas including: abdomen, flanks/sides (also called “love handles” or “muffin tops”), double chin, inner thighs, outer thighs, axilla and upper arms.
"I've always had a good experience here. The staff are super responsive to emails, and they are also quite friendly. Very well-run practice here--my appointments have always been on time or a little early. I've mainly worked with Roxanne Krempa and she is absolutely lovely--very kind, helpful, and honest about what treatments she feels would best serve your aesthetic goals."- K.L. / Yelp / Mar 08, 2015
"Bay Area Body Contouring is fantastic. They have an attentive, courteous team of skin angels that can help you change the way you look and feel! Roxanne is an expert treatment specialist. I know because I have been returning to her for over 5 years for all my skin and body needs. I am constantly getting complements and I owe it all to Bay Area Body Contouring. Confidence is priceless. Thank you Bay Area Body Contouring and Roxanne for your dedication to making me look my best!"- N.K. / Yelp / Mar 20, 2015
"This review is for Roxanne Krempa and Bay Area Body Contouring. Roxanne is incredibly knowledgeable on all aspects of body shaping, CoolSculpting, Vanquish and Ultratone. She has been treating me with Ultratone and Vanquish for the past couple of months and I can really see the difference in my shape. Roxanne can do a quick assessment; definitely take her advice on which procedures are good for your body. She has tried them all!."- J.D. / Yelp / Sep 13, 2015
"Robin and Roxanne are awesome! They are both very knowledgable and honest. They've never tried to sell something that wouldn't work on me. I started off with CoolSculpting, then Vanquish, and Ultratone. I got very good result for all three procedures. I mainly do CoolSculpting on inner thighs and back thighs and usually start seeing result as early as 3 weeks after the procedure. The procedure is a bit uncomfortable but I normally get used to it after 5 minutes into the procedure. I've also never had pain or any issues after. Vanquish is a more comfortable procedure than CoolSculpting, and I see the result right after the procedure is done. The result is subtle but noticeable! I've also just tried Ultratone a few times and notice it does help define my muscle and also does some help with firming. I highly recommend Robin and Roxanne if anyone wants to try these procedure. I am already a repeat customer!"- R.A. / Other / Feb 27, 2015
"There is no need to go anyplace else or see any other dermotologists. Dr. Welsh knows what you need before you even ask for a particular treatment. In many cases, her suggestions are not what you might intend, but better and more effective. She is truly at the top of her field in cosmetic dermatology. Dr. Hui is the best at treating and rectifying problem skin and preventative maintenance. I will no longer see any other doctor for my skin concerns. Their entire staff is deeply knowledgable in all areas of every treatment they offer. I can't say enough about this practice.Treatments I have had: Coolsculpting, IPL, Accutane, Ulthera, V-beam, tattoo removal"- J.G. / Yelp / Jul 06, 2016
AM I A CANDIDATE?
Most people are candidates for CoolSculpting but the following are contraindications. Not all of these contraindications exclude you from treatment, but if any apply to you, please notify us of prior to treatment.
- Cold urticaria
- Areas of impaired peripheral circulation
- Reynaud’s disease
- Scar tissue or extensive skin conditions such as eczema or dermatitis at the area of intended treatment
- Impaired skin sensation
- Open or infected wounds
- Areas of recent bleeding or hemorrhage
- History of abdominal hernias
CoolSculpting is only effective on subcutaneous (pinchable) fat, not visceral fat, and it is not meant to be a weight loss solution in overweight or obese patients. During your complimentary body sculpting consultation, one of our Body Sculpting Specialists will look at the areas you would like to treat and determine if you are a candidate for treatment.
What SHOULD I Expect
- Our Body Sculpting specialist will assess the area to be treated and outline a treatment plan that will give you the best, most beautiful results. Because our team has been treating patients since 2009 we have more experience actually analyzing individual silhouettes and placing handpieces than almost anyone in the industry. We are experts in working with your natural body shape whether that means chiseling a waistline or enhancing an hourglass figure.
- Before treatment we will take photos of the area you plan to CoolSculpt. Because results happen gradually and naturally over the course of several months, it is crucial for both patient and provider to have quality before and after photos.
- Your specialist will then make you comfortable in the treatment chair and a cold gel pad will be placed across the treatment area to protect your skin during the CoolSculpting procedure. The applicator cup of the handpiece will be placed on the area and a gentle vacuum pressure will be applied to draw the tissue between the cooling panels. The applicator will remain on the skin for 35-60 minutes depending on the handpiece used. During this time you are free to relax, read, use one of our tablets to browse your favorite magazines or log on to our wireless internet. Some patients even fall asleep!
- Once the cycle has completed, your specialist will return to remove the applicator and use a ZWave Pro on the treated area to help break up the treated fat in its crystallized state. The Body Clinic at Bay Area Cosmetic Dermatology is one of the only offices in the San Francisco area combining CoolSculpting and ZWave Pro technologies vs manual massage. Our patients love their results!
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS?
The results achieved through CoolSculpting happen gradually over the two months following treatment. This allows for a very natural looking fat reduction. Some patients will begin to notice results as early as two to three weeks post-treatment, with most dramatic and visible results after two months. It is well worth the wait.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS do I need
Some patients will be satisfied after one treatment while others may want to be more aggressive and retreat one to two additional times to achieve further reduction. Our Body Sculpting Specialists will work with you to to determine how many treatments are necessary to meet your personal goals.
HOW DO I PREPARE?
Preparation for a CoolSculpting treatment is minimal, however, the following tips will ensure you are most comfortable for the duration of your visit:
- Eat a meal before treatment. CoolSculpting on an empty stomach can lead to nausea and lightheadedness.
- Wear comfortable clothing you won’t mind getting gel on. You'll be sitting in the same position for at least half an hour, and sometimes our gel pads can leak onto clothing. We recommend yoga or sweatpants, a t-shirt, and some comfy socks. We'll keep you warm with cozy blankets, pillows, and robes.
- Feel free to bring your laptop, reading materials, etc. We offer complimentary wireless internet access in the office as well as tablets loaded with Netflix, magazines, and games.
- While not absolutely necessary, if you bruise easily, you may consider reducing blood thinning medications and supplements one to two weeks before your procedure to help reduce the possibility of bruising. These include but are not limited to: Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Omega-3's (fish oil, flax seed oil, etc.), and Vitamin E. Please consult with your physician if you have any questions.
CoolSculpting is a non-invasive treatment with minimal to no downtime. Most people return to their normal routine immediately following treatment. Normal responses include:
- Redness in the treatment area (typically resolves within an hour)
- Swelling (this can last for up to a week)
- Numbness and tenderness (sometimes lasting up to two weeks)
- “Pins and Needles” nerve response (sometimes lasting up to two weeks)
- Mild cramping
- Possible bruising
There have been numerous studies regarding the results behind cryolipolysis. These studies have proven that after just one treatment, patients may see up to a 20% reduction in fat in as few as three weeks after their procedure, with full results taking approximately 3 months. While these results can not be guaranteed for each individual, our Body Clinic patients have been overwhelmingly happy for the last 8 years.
CoolSculpting freezes fat cells, so in the weeks and months following the procedure, the body will naturally process and eliminate these targeted cells to help the patient achieve a slimmer, more sculpted appearance. It is important to note that after CoolSculpting, a patient should practice a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and regular exercise to maintain their results.
Plan Your Procedure
CoolSculpting is a non-invasive procedure that can help you achieve the slimmer body contour you have been unable to achieve through diet and exercise alone. If you have pesky bulges of fat and want to learn more about how CoolSculpting can help you with these problem areas, please call our dermatology office today and schedule your complimentary consultation.