Trendy skincare ingredients are everywhere we look.
Cue the coconut oil phenom or made-for-IG charcoal masks. Unfortunately, many 'of the moment' ingredients (especially in the 'natural' skincare category) are just that, fly-by-night marketing ploys with little if any research to back them up.
But let's talk about a natural skincare ingredient that we do have some excellent science for and our providers can really get behind: GREEN TEA.
From Dr. Welsh, "A 2010 study shows oral administration, in particular, as well as the topical application of antioxidant extracts from green tea can protect skin against the harmful effects of UV exposure, including erythema (reddening of the skin), premature aging, and cancer. At higher concentrations, green tea extracts can also help to reduce acne."
PRO TIP: You'll see green tea extract listed as camellia sinensis (tea plant) on some labels.
Some of our favorite research-proven products that include green tea:
- The cult-classic Journée from NeoCutis: An excellent bio-re storative day cream + SPF.
- SkinBetter's Alpharet Overnight Cream: Powerfully anti-aging without irrit ation. Not a common combo.
- Our BACD Antioxidant Cleansing Pads: While not a full substitute for washing your face these pads are a great choice for acne-prone skin or to throw in your gym bag. (Teens love these too!)
- Much of the Jane Iredale mineral makeup line.
- ColoreScience Sunforgettable Face Primer with SPF 30.
All products available @ weloveskinstore.com.
Who else is headed to the kitchen to brew up a cup of green goodness? Cheers!